AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can no longer print - network printer SOLVED
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Adrian
Posted 2/13/2024 08:41 (#10621563)
Subject: Can no longer print - network printer SOLVED

South Georgia
Hey, guys.

A few days ago, my office printer stopped printing. The problem began with it printing about a third of the first page that was sent to it, stopping for a half a minute or so, then spitting the partially printed page out and saying there was an error. No explanation of the error.

The computer is on Windows 10, with all current updates.

The printer is a Brother mfc-j6930dw, also with all current updates.

I've run the Windows troubleshooter, which tells me that it doesn't know what the problem is.

I've run the Brother network connection repair tool, which told me that there was no problem with the network, it could see the printer fine.

I've 'removed' the printer from the computer, intending to add it again, but when I tell the computer to look for the printer, it no longer sees it on the network.

The printer does work fine when I use it 'locally' to copy.

The printer and the computer are both connected to the same network, which they've both been connected to for years. I don't think there's a network problem, due to the Brother network connection repair tool telling me it was okay.

Any ideas? I'd appreciate it. Not being able to print is a real P.I.A. I do have a dedicated desktop scanner, so I can still scan with it at the moment, but I kinda need to print too.

Thanks,
Adrian

Edit to add:
I tried connecting the computer and printer both to the hotspot on my phone, and was able to reinstall the printer and print from the computer. When I switched both back to the router, I can no longer print. So I guess the router is the problem, even though the Brother network troubleshooting software said it wasn't.

Edit #2:
Problem seems to be a bad USB WiFi adapter. I use the built in WiFi on the computer to connect to my phone for internet, and a USB WiFi adapter to connect to the printer network so that the printer is connected all the time, even if I'm not connected to the hotspot from the phone. It's worked perfectly for years, according to Amazon I bought this USB WiFi adapter in 2018, but I guess they do eventually die. Got a new one ordered now.

Edited by Adrian 2/13/2024 10:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)