AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Chaff spreaders again !
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 8/4/2009 13:58 (#799462)
Subject: Chaff spreaders again !

After no tilling my corn this year it has became apparent that I need to invest in a chaff spreader to better distribute bean residue coming off the chaffer/sieve area.

I've narrowed it down to "The Spreader" and Vittetoe units.

Links below for reference photo's

http://www.thespreader.com/ 

http://www.vittetoe.com/chaff1.htm

I'm also still debating about used or new and am checking out a couple nearby salvage yards in the next week.

So lets hear from those who have used either of these 2 brands and what you liked or disliked about them.  All comments are welcome I want to hear +'s and -'s

Will be going on a 1988 6620 Titan II w/heavy duty rear axle currently running a 915 head but would like the spreader to also be prepared to run a 18' platform in the future. I'd like a single large diameter spinner also.  

"The Spreader" has rubber paddles attached to metal L shaped paddles that distribute chaff but does not seem to have any sort of wrap around diverter around the outside of the spinner. Is this a problem or does it result in a wider more uniform spread ? How do the  rubber paddles hold up over time and wear? Can you use plastic strips for paddles instead ?

The Vittetoe has steel L shaped paddles on the spinner and an adjustable diverter that wraps around the outside of the spinner. Can you really get it adjusted to spread evenly or does it carry too much material around which spreads most of the chaff out one side instead of evenly distributing it out both sides ?

When combining in windy conditions do you see any advantages or disadvantages with either type spreader? I also tend to harvest from one side of the field to the other with consecutive back and forth passes. (In other words I don't combine in lands)  

Main reason is that when the divider point pushes drilled beans down going in one direction when you come back the other way you pick them up and cut them of at the ground instead of skipping over the top of them if you were going the same direction again. It's important that I get an even spread under these circumstances and not getting a lot of chaff pushed out on 1 side only.

Thanks for opinions and comments. I'm trying to gather as much input as possible after the whole spaded closing wheel problems I had this spring when they simply did not work for "me" "here" In other words, there are no "universal" products but I don't like the expensive trial and error testing either.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)