AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A soldiers letter to home
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Posted 5/28/2018 20:40 (#6783364)
Subject: A soldiers letter to home

Dear Folks:
Just a few lines again to let you know that I am still kicking. Have been sick a few days, nothing much though. The weather over here now is rather cool. Received a letter from Arthur, said that he was about to come over too.
Our Chaplain gave us a very good talking to last night just beside the church which I enjoyed very much. Our band was present and played some of the french Anthems, Marseilles. It is not all gloom over here all the time. We have a French YMCA and expect to have an American Y at our next stop, which will be a lively sector. I think there will be plenty doing of all kind.
But don’t worry Mother, for God will take care of me. I am trusting in Him and believe me, I will be a man when I come home and hope these few line will cheer all your dear hearts.
Love to All,
Your Sincere Boy.
Walter
France, Sept. 2, 1918

Co. B. 60th U. S. Infantry
A. E. F.
Via, N. Y.
O.K’d censored by
C. Lively 2nd Lt.

Walter Jasper High was killed in action during WWI, near his mother’s birthplace. Just before his death he wrote this last letter to his parents.

Official records of Walter High, killed in action during World War I, Refer to: AGUZ-RSD-SAS High, Walter J. (2 382 510).

I. Walter enlisted in the Regular Army September 13, 1917 at Jefferson Barracks, Missouri, was assigned to Company B. 60th Infantry Regiment, 5th Infantry Division, at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. Departed the United States on April 16, 1918 for duty with the American Expeditionary Forces in France; was promoted to the grade of Corporal on May 17, 1918, and was killed in Action on October 14, 1918. He was authorized the Purple Heart for having made the supreme sacrifice in defense of his country, and the World War I Victory Medal with battle clasps for St. Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne, and Defensive Sector.

I share this today because it's the 100th anniversary of WW1 this year. Not many people will remember these men. Walter was my Great Grandfathers Brother. He lived in the old farm house I live in my Great Great Grandfather built. It's sad today because nobody is left but me to take care of his grave. All the High family is about gone. I just want to make sure his sacrifice won't be forgotten.

(Walter (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Walter (full).jpg (79KB - 80 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)