AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A chilly morning- photos for those in warmer places
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

bshannon
Posted 12/18/2016 09:35 (#5706170)
Subject: A chilly morning- photos for those in warmer places

For all of you who are live in the warmer climates, I wanted to share some of our delightful weather with you. -16F this morning. Very grateful there was is little wind, although intellicast says wind chill temp of -28. I won't quibble about a measly 12 degrees. Yesterday was "warmer", but windier and felt every bit as miserable.

We got about 6" of snow Friday through early Saturday, requiring me to clean out the farmyard-the whole yard because of the predicted drop in temps and need to get a cattle trailer moved into position for loading on Monday. 3 hours on the non-cab tractor-refreshing to say the least. That included swapping out the bucket for the bale tines for feeding and trying to coax some critters in the barn to send off. Got that job accomplished.

It was cloudy yesterday, but at least the sun is out today. At 8:30 here's how things look in the upper midwest.

Llama and goat are "free-range". Weather doesn't bother the llama, but the extremely overweight goat is always shivering. It would do her good to shiver off some pounds! The only animal moving much was Jack Daniels the border collie who was frustrated nobody would run for him.

Round bales with a nice coating of melted ice topped with 2 additional layers of snow. This is why I don't use net wrap. Getting the twine off when frozen is bad enough!

Cattle were all outside, most covered with a nice layer of frost. The cattle waterer *supposed to be energy-free" don't ever fall for that up here; has a small heater inside which keeps the water from freezing, but the seal where the balls close freezes up tight when its below zero requiring me to beat on the balls repeatedly with a large hammer and sometimes requiring a ready heater blast of heat to loosen. Fortunately just beating today worked.

(IMG_4966.JPG)

(IMG_4976.JPG)

(IMG_4969.jpg)

(IMG_4971.jpg)

(IMG_4972.jpg)

(IMG_4974.jpg)

(IMG_4975.jpg)

(IMG_4978.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_4966.JPG (244KB - 109 downloads)
Attachments IMG_4976.JPG (169KB - 114 downloads)
Attachments IMG_4969.jpg (140KB - 121 downloads)
Attachments IMG_4971.jpg (109KB - 115 downloads)
Attachments IMG_4972.jpg (121KB - 97 downloads)
Attachments IMG_4974.jpg (132KB - 120 downloads)
Attachments IMG_4975.jpg (111KB - 115 downloads)
Attachments IMG_4978.JPG (115KB - 108 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)