AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What would your reaction be to something like this from a parent?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

milofarmer1
Posted 11/18/2016 17:27 (#5643377)
Subject: What would your reaction be to something like this from a parent?

Texas/New Mexico Stateline

Suppose you got this in an email from some of your close family.  And you were planning to give their kids Christmas presents.  Is it tactful or do you find it offensive?  I personally think it is a nice way to suggest cutting back on some of the excess?  But I realize some people do not think of things the way I do.  I have also seen the same kind of problem in our household with too much stuff for the kids.  And I have had a struggle with making family upset when I try to tell them to cut back a little. 

Dear family,

First I am very grateful we have such a generous and caring family.  I know many families are not as close, are not as generous, and are maybe not able to buy gifts like ours is.  We are blessed in many ways.

But as I have talked about many times, when our kids have so many family members giving multiple gifts it is overwhelming, and ultimately affects the gratitude our children should have concerning what they have.  They have received many presents through the years that were never enjoyed as they should have been, or were abused and thrown away.  It is very disheartening to see things I know you were excited to give not enjoyed.  I am not critical of the children, but it is a natural result of excess. 

So I am asking that if you wish to give gifts, please make it one smaller gift.  Preferably something that does not require batteries or have many small pieces.  Clothing or shoes are always useful (and I know they aren't as exciting as a toy, but it is what it is)  I would also mention we have college funds that we can contribute to if you would like to direct a gift in that direction instead, and those would probably be useful at a time in their lives when they would have greater appreciation for your generosity. 

I don't mean to make Christmas shopping any harder than it already is.  I understand that well.  I only wish for the kids to have a genuine appreciation for what you do for them.  And I believe that less is more when it comes to gifts. 

As always for myself I respectfully decline the offer of gifts, as spending time with all of you is the only gift I would like.  Oh, and all the food of course.

Sincerely,

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)