AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mastitis Question/ Calf falling over
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Supa Dexta
Posted 5/24/2015 18:47 (#4588793)
Subject: Mastitis Question/ Calf falling over

NS Canada
I have a 5wk old calf that is acting odd, weak in the hind end and falling over, lays out on its side. Seems alert otherwise. Pretty sure it got selenium when born, but just gave it another dose.. And now reading a few things I see this:

'I remember reading once that a calf that has nursed a cow with mastitis, can develop an inner ear infection that can damage the inner ear and its equilibrium within a day or so.'

This cow did have one bad quarter all along, and a quick glance at her tonight looked like she may be milking on all 4 now. But I just glanced to make sure she wasn't bagged right up, so I knew that calf had been drinking. Won't see her again til tomorrow now though.

Cows aren't on pasture yet, good 2nd cut silage in the bale rings.. But calves can get under a wire and run around the adjacent field. Some new grass started, but no real growth yet.. And no real weeds to speak of yet.

Oh and also.. Its a snow white calf, and it now has black streaking over its back. As if it rubbed on a dirty old tire or something.. But can't see anything around that it would have got into. And the black is right down in the hair to the hide, dry and looks as if the hair was dyed.. Not just on the surface.. So no idea what that is about either

Anyone know anything more on this?

Edited by Supa Dexta 5/24/2015 18:51
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)