AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Laptop for Music only (mostly)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 11/26/2014 13:59 (#4202908)
Subject: New Laptop for Music only (mostly)

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have all my music converted to the MP3 format. In my shop I have the music on an external hard drive. I had this connected to an old XP machine. I have the music stored in folders. I have one called Ted MP3s and others for different types of music. Within those folders I have the music organized by artist. I used Media Player and had it set to random. With a couple of clicks I could get this going and proceed with my shop work. I connected the headphone OUT jack to an old stereo receiver. All in all this setup worked very well for a time.

Well, the old XP machine is going downhill in a couple of ways. The screen is starting to fail from one corner but since I'm only using this for music that is not much of an issue. The system seemed to slow down badly lately so I did some of the housekeeping procedures such as compressing, defraging etc. None of this seemed to help.

Yesterday I bought a bare bones laptop at Wal-Mart. This was a bottom of the line Win 8 machine. It does not have a CD/DVD drive but does have 3 USB ports. I probably should have looked around for a used laptop running XP but this was an impulse buying decision.

The system does play my music but it seems that I have to go through a lot of keystrokes and clicks to get the process started. First off, the machine came with a password setup. I know this can be bypassed as I have eliminated that step (although it is not such a big deal) on the office machine. I believe it is in the setup somewhere. Please refresh my memory.

The system seems to want to play my music through the HP app that came with the machine. I would prefer to use Media Player as I am used to it. The HP App is designed to work with internet radio but I do not have an internet connection in the shop. I'm certain that I should be able to set Media Player as the default music player.

I would be also interested in setting up some type of shortcuts that would allow me to get to the music I prefer with less keystrokes.

Any help with this project is appreciated.

Edited by tedbear 11/26/2014 14:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)