AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A question for the engineers and metal men-------
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jakescia
Posted 5/2/2014 18:13 (#3850345)
Subject: A question for the engineers and metal men-------

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

We are going to add spacers between the trumpet of a Cat 45 and the drive wheel.........to land at 120 inches on center, instead of the current 60.

Total added inches will be 30. per side.

The question------- which alternative would likely be the strongest--- adding three 10-inch spacers, instead of say, a 10-inch plus a 20-inch.

Or, the third alternative-------- I am tilting at windmills again, and need to quit worrying about it.

The spacers are bolted to the hub and to each other by 16 grade 8 bolts, I think about 3/4 or even 1 inch in diameter.

Spacers are cast.

My guess was that two spacers would be the strongest, since it would involve fewer bolts---------- but a respected metals guy says that the bolts will be stronger than the cast spacers........so going with the three spacers will actually be best.

In addition, one person noted that if there is a break, the break will occur at the bolts on the innermost piece anyway---- the trumpet.

A welder has indicated that stitch welding the edges of the spacers would enhance the strength also---- "if you're really worried about the bolts...".   But, wouldn't welding on cast weaken the cast?

(We will also add a "tie rod" between the two track frames, to help keep the frames from spreading.)

Your comments will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by jakescia 5/2/2014 18:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)