AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Walking the "fine line"
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 2/22/2010 01:42 (#1086982)
Subject: Walking the "fine line"

West Union, Illinois

There's been a post or two recently that kind of reminds us there is a "fine line" in forum etiquette of which we need to be careful to watch.  The problem is deciding when one has crossed that indefinable line between being helpful and self-promotion.  It is generally more of a problem with those who haven't been on here too long.  It seems most kind of get a feel for it once they get a little time on here.

We had a discussion back in October on the crop page that might be a good read (see http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=124091&pos... ) I'll quote a portion of:

...before you go offering to supply someone with your product set back and think how it is going to look.  Because you can quickly get a bunch of farmers upset at you. And while they try not to do it, the moderators can and will remove your presence from the forum.
Jim at Dawn made the comment
Regarding the "fine line" - there are lines for all of us on this board. There are lines of civility and good taste as well as promotion of something.
Is there a difference between my saying "I've had good luck with Joe's whoopie cushion repair, you ought to box it up and send to to him" and Joe getting on and saying "I repair whoopie cushions.  Ship it to me and I'll repair it for you." ?  Probably not in actual practice, but worlds apart in reader perception.

So let's be respectful of the guys who put their time and effort and money into this site and keep it commercial free as they wish

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)