AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New guy starting out
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

HillsNHollers1
Posted 10/18/2018 08:36 (#7053092)
Subject: New guy starting out

SE Iowa
Hi All-

Long time listener, first time caller here. In the midst of purchasing my first farm and wanted some input on what to buy first. I have access to all necessary pieces of equipment to put in and take out a corn/soybean crop although some will get done in more timely manor then others. Not looking to buy new equipment by any means but something dependable. What would you buy first?

Planter/Tractor: have access to and crop would be put in what I would say is a fairly timely manor, will be in the 2nd half of planting season though
Sprayer: chemical applications will be able to be done in a timely manor
Combine: I'll be put on the back half of harvest if I use the combine I have available to me
Semi: have access but not necessarily can get it when ever needed plus local elevator is roughly 10 miles to town so would be nicer than wagons
Or do I go a different route?
Put a grain bin up: So I'm not spending money at the elevator to store crop. Would need less than 20k worth of storage
Put the money in to improve the farm?
Tile: farm is roughly 55 csr ground so it's not prime ground by and means and ranges from rolling ground to crick bottom.

Last question, kind of a dumb question... Farm has some permanent pasture on it, I do not raise livestock can that be turned back into crop ground or is there rules against that?

The farming will be my night job as I work in town during the day. Thank you for your input always enjoy reading everyone's post!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)