AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

RE: NASS 28500 population vs. August 28000
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Citi Farms
Posted 9/14/2017 13:06 (#6247673)
Subject: RE: NASS 28500 population vs. August 28000

I was often contacted in the past to participate in the NASS surveys on corn and never was I asked about my population count. Has anyone else been asked this by a NASS surveyor? If not, we must assume that this weight has nothing or little to do with farmer responses but just in field observations.

If you take their 169.9 yield and divide it by 28500 and times 28000 you get a yield a lot closer to the 167 yield in the pre-report expectations issued by many including Allendale at 166.7, FC Stone at 166.9 and RJObrien at 163.2 bushel per acre on 2017 U.S. Corn.

The higher population counts may mean they sample different places for each month's report in their actual field visits.

Ear weights are another issue but time will tell on that as it was generally cooler than normal for much of August but with many areas lacking moisture, kernel counts could still need to be higher per bushel. Does anyone know how to calculate ear weight to kernel counts? For instance they are using an ear weight over 34 so does this mean a lower kernel count will be needed to achieve a bushel?

Full of questions but few answers from me. As many have said the combines will tell the story in the next 60 days or so.

Edited by Citi Farms 9/14/2017 13:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)