AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why all the optimism all of sudden?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

GregChuckles
Posted 3/4/2017 18:33 (#5878283)
Subject: Why all the optimism all of sudden?

Wasn't that long ago and it was doom and gloom. A few months ago it seemed like you could buy good bred heifers for $1350-1500 and good young cows for around 1300.

I've been needing to pickup a couple dozen bred heifers or cows and why was I in for a shock today...

Lots of good decent cattle and large groups but no dispersions but most of the good bred heifers were bringing $1650-1700+. Again most were good quality but many weren't AId or synchronized. Even the lower end heifers were bringing $1500. I think that's crazy.

And to top it all off there was a group of 7-10 year old cows that I was interested in that brought $1650. That seems ridiculous, no? Again really good cows but still and combine the fact that anything that could walk and breathe but had ribs sticking out and weighed under a 1000lbs still brought $1300 in shaking my head.

If I would have known that I should have hauled some of my older late bred cows in.

So what changed? Seems to me that there are still a lot of question marks about this market and although it's considerably better than 6 months ago and is at slight profit levels right now for many, I'm cautiously optimistic and think it's going to be a bumpy ride for the next couple of years.

Edited by GregChuckles 3/4/2017 18:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)