AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

So many different ways to farm!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

frytownfarmer
Posted 6/12/2016 08:34 (#5349976)
Subject: So many different ways to farm!

Frytown, Iowa
I am amazed at all the different ways to grow a crop and what their goals are for their practices... And it seems a lot are still in the experiment stage. Me included... You have full tillage operations to no till, cover crops that get terminated as early as possible to planting green in 6 foot high growth... Interseeding cover crops IN season as well as broadcasting clover on growing wheat so the clover germinates then goes dormant... then after wheat harvest it starts growing again and provides nitrogen...

Some are experiments, others are practices that won't go away...

Just so many options. Last year I seen 2 fields side by side... Different farmers... One had turned the soil black and buried all the trash... And the other had notilled rye into standing stalks trying to get as much trash as he could. Meanwhile I was just across the river and was no tilling with no cover crops.

3 different practices, 3 different fields, 3 different farmers. And who had the best yield? You would think by 2016 American farmers would have this all settled by now? Instead it seems to me farmers are doing more experimenting

Why don't we have the information for what works and what doesn't? Instead we have a thousand farmers doing a thousand experiments with a thousand different machinery attachments and in the end it can all varry dramatically year by year by how much rain that field got.

(image.jpeg)

(image.jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpeg (103KB - 76 downloads)
Attachments image.jpeg (104KB - 58 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)