AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What will it Yield
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NEILFarmer
Posted 9/3/2015 20:22 (#4768993)
Subject: What will it Yield

Morris, IL
Walking a little of our earlier corn this afternoon and over the last few weeks, i'm very impressed with what i'm finding on the good better drained areas, where the water sat every other day in June it's a crap shoot, so just going to be how far the bad drags down the generally good corn. But i've tested few dryer fields and better areas of fields to get idea what most of field will do.

One field has average of 16x32, ears weight 2/3 of a lb. and kernels weight 1/2 lb, averaging 6x, eyes closed, random ears. I moisture tested it at 33%, tested 38% Sunday so moving fast with this heat. So my math, 1/2lb. x 37,000 / 56 x .67 /.85 is around 260 bushel. That comes out to 73k kernel count which i've seen in the past but seems very good. It also test 52lb. already. So what will this test area yield you think? I'm thinking field will average 220-230 which would be good but not super for this field, but for the year we've had would be really super. 225 would come out to 85k which i think is easy doable, i've seen 70-75k but i don't think it will happen this year, i'd love to be wrong. That field was planted to DK 60-67 at 37,500 on the 17th of April with popup and 10 gallons UAN in fall strip till COC, side dressed 235lb. of N with NH3 the second of June, probably one of our best fields as it has no 0-150 areas due to excess water in June. Kitchen sink drained stuff.

Another field is planted later on what i'd call our best all around ground, it's still a ways from black layer so no weights and moistures, but average 18x36, 34,000 plants, i can not cheat these number less then 240 bushel. Planted 4/30 to DK 62-08 at 34,500 with popup and 8 gallons UAN in fall strip till bean stubble, side dressed 200lb. of N with NH3 on third of June, has very little 0-150 areas but creek flooded 5% of this field 3 times in June.

What do you experts think this will make. Was really dreading harvest but after walking i think i'm excited. I think limiting compaction and sidedress NH3 could have made us another 50-100$ an acre this year and that's saying a lot with corn prices in the crapper. Thanks in advance, few pictures to go along with, i don't have any of the DK60-67 now and i don't have any of the DK62-08 early. Few other DK numbers i've picked and counted over the last few weeks. We did not have a super 14' so this might help little bit.

(IMG_0289.JPG)

(IMG_0297.JPG)

(IMG_0285.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0289.JPG (143KB - 131 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0297.JPG (162KB - 123 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0285.jpg (260KB - 123 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)