AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD corn planters
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Maxmoe
Posted 11/10/2012 21:18 (#2689788)
Subject: JD corn planters

Alberta
Hey everyone, this is my first post on here and I've been following all your posts for some time and I must say thanks, very informative!! My question is I am planting corn next year where we live in northern Alberta, it's becoming more and more common up here as the varieties are changing to grow in our climate. We planted 300 acres this year for silage and it was a smashing success! 20 ton per acre where our best barley would be 10 to 14 ton per acre. Last year we used a custom guy to come plant with a very old trusty 6 row planter. This year I'm going to plant our own and our neighbours also in total about 1500 acres My question is, from what I've read there is approximately 90,000 seeds per bushel true or false? Our corn rep said we planted 30,000 seeds per acre so if my math is correct that's 3 acres per bushel so three bushel boxes I would be good for 144 acres which I love that idea but is that too many acres? Seems To good to be true? Looking at lots of planters in the states and I am going to go buy a 16 or 24 row and if I buy a John deere ccs that's 100 bushels of storage so I should be good for 300 acres at that rate ( I think) not concerned about fertilizer boxes because we just use the local providers to come broadcast on the field then we harrow in and plant worked very very well this year. Also is there different advantages / disadvantages for 1.6 or 3.0 bushel boxes?? Thanks people I eagerly await to hear your thoughts cause I know you guys on here are corn pro's and its so little known in my area
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)