AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

RTK corrections, VBS or single base?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

BeanCrusher
Posted 5/15/2011 22:09 (#1777066)
Subject: RTK corrections, VBS or single base?

Shenandoah Valley, VA
First year messing with RTK after finally getting fed up with Omni* convergence times...

Have a Trimble FMx with an Intuicom RTK - M bridge. RTK corrections are received from Leica's SmartNet with little fuss. I can receive either a VBS solution or a single base solution from the nearest base. The nearest base is > 20km away most places I am operating. The VBS solution uses bases from > 50 miles away, some on the other side of the mountain from where I operate. On VBS (or i-MAX I suppose I should say) I get to "float" fairly often, and normally only end up with 6 or 7 sats max, sometimes 4 or 5. (I would assume this is because the bases are far enough apart and corrections are only generated for the sats that all the bases in the network see?) Using the single base, I spend most of the time with 8-11 sats (GPS only, no GLONAS) and basically stay fixed all day.

How do I determine which is more accurate? The H-Error is similar for both options according the the FMx. (.8 to 1.2") I have not noticed much difference in my position or location of my guidance lines between the networked correction and the single base. I had assumed that my distance from the closet base would cause trouble with accuracy and would need the networked correction. What will I notice that means "Ah! Your accuracy is compromised."?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)